Wednesday, February 29, 2012

That Little Voice Inside of You

I had a different post planned for today, but Princess trumped it with this story:

This morning on the way to school, Princess was talking to me about whether or not she should be in her school talent show.  She really wants to sing, but she isn't sure if she should or not or if the song she has picked (from the movie "Tangled") is going to be considered "baby."  She gets her indecisiveness from my mother and it is painful for both of them to make decisions.  We have had this same conversation for the last 5 days and she has until Friday when the permission slip must be turned in.  So we are in the car on the way to school and Princess says, "Mommy, I think I want to sing in the talent show.  There's this little voice inside of me that keeps telling me I need to do it."
Me: Oh?
Princess: Yes, this voice in me wants me to sing and to praise God no matter what anyone else says because people need to know about God.
Me: That's called the Holy Spirit
Princess: Well it's just something that I feel called to do.  God doesn't talk in my head like I can't hear him or anything but I know in my heart that I am just supposed to sing.  God is calling me to sing and I just want to sing for Him and to sing about Him so that other people can know about Him. (Yes, she really talks in run-on sentences like that)
Me:  That's great darlin'.  So your gonna sing in the talent show?
Princess: I don't know.  I know I should obey what God wants me to do and I feel called to sing for Him and not worry about what everyone thinks about it because I have to make Him happy, you know?

So many times the Holy Spirit tells me what He wants me to do but I let my fears get in the way.  It amazes me that at 7 years old, Princess is starting that discernment process and trying to sift through what she feels is God's calling on her life.  I am so glad that God is using my kids to teach me more about Him every day.   

4 comments:

  1. Look at you on a blogging role...I like it.

    What a wise 7 year old you have. We should all be quiet and listen to what that little voice inside is telling us. Her indecision is providing more time to talk to Him about things. Sometimes I just jump in when I should pause and listen because the end result would be better.

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it, Sarah Grace! Praying for you!
    "Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord of Hosts." Zechariah 4:6
    Miss Rose Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula, I hadn't thought about the think time. That's a great insight!
    Thanks Rose Ann! Miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet! What a precious little girl :)

    ReplyDelete