Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Prime of Life - A Book Review



Prime of Life  -     By: P.D. Bekendam

In his debut novel Prime of Life, P.D. Bekendam introduces us to Ben, a surgeon turned janitor at Heritage Gardens Retirement Home.  Ben is running from his past and came to Heritage Gardens for a simpler, less stressful life.  He has a quirky preference for all prime numbers and no left turns.  Ben has developed close relationships with the residents of Heritage Gardens and they help him just as much as he helps them.  When a part of Ben's past is revealed to the residents, he realizes that he can't really escape those feelings of bondage and unforgiveness. 

P.D. Bekendam is an eye surgeon.  Proceeds from Bekendam's writing go to help fund his activities in developing countries as he works to bring cataract surgery to the needlessly blind. 

I enjoyed reading this book. The character development was good and I enjoyed getting know each of the characters at Heritage Gardens and quirky Ben.  There were parts of the book where I laughed out loud and other parts that made me really empathize with Ben.  I expected for there to be a more spiritual component to the book in the beginning of the story and it seemed lacking.  However, as I read on, I discovered that the spiritual struggles that Ben faces are threaded throughout the story.  I loved the ending of this book.  It offered a nice surprise and kept me guessing what would happen right up to the end.  I recommend Prime of Life as a great leisurely read. 

Prime of Life was provided to me free of charge by the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.  I am not obligated to give this book a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment