Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Wednesday Hodgepodge

I'm back at the Wednesday Hodgepodge!  A huge thanks to Joyce, who never takes a break from the hodgepodge and provides us with questions each week.  Go see her HERE and link up your answers too!
1. Who taught you how to cook?

My mom taught me how to cook, but I never really appreciated it until I got married.  I now take great pride in making things from scratch, just like my mom and especially pulling out old family favorite recipes.  I also have learned a lot from watching the Food Network.

2. Have you been told you think too much? Are too much of a perfectionist? Are too sensitive? Were they right?
Yes, yes, yes, and yes.  Wow, you hit a lot of touchy subjects with this question, Joyce!  These are things I don't particularly like to talk about, but yes they are all true of me. 

3. As a child did you have a favorite blanket or toy? Tell about it.
One year as Christmas was getting closer, I went shopping with my Mema and we went into the local Toy King in the mall.  There was a doll in there that I just loved and I really wanted her, but she cost $80, which was an insane amount in those days (it's an insane amount these days!)  This doll was really special be cause she was a life-size baby, probably as big as a 6 month old, and she would suck her finger or her pacifier and she cried and opened and closed her eyes.  For the 80's, this was big stuff.  The problem was in the price tag.  I knew I would never get that doll unless Santa brought her.  Christmas morning came and I was so excited to go see what Santa brought.  I got some nice things, but I didn't get the doll.  I tried not to show my disappointment as I opened the presents from my parents.  Later, we went to Mema and Grandaddy's house to open presents.  I opened a couple of presents, clothes I think, and that was that.  After everyone had opened everything, Mema said that she had forgotten to put one of the presents out.  I figured it was for my parents or uncle or someone.  Out she came with a present for me, and it was the doll I wanted.  I named her Mary Geraldine after Mary and Gerald, my grandparents. 
4. What 'institution' do you have the most faith in?
The institution of marriage.  Two people who are in love and committed to each other are a force to be reckoned with.
 
"Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor. If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up.  Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves.  A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."  Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 NIV

5. Chrysanthemums-pansies-burning bush-ornamental cabbage...your favorite in an autumn garden?
I just love pansies.  I can see their little faces just like in Disney's Alice in Wonderland.

6. What superpower do the kids in your neighborhood seem to posses?
The teenagers in my neighborhood seem to think they have some sort of protective force field about them that allows them to walk in the middle of the street and think that if a car is coming they won't get run over.  They don't move to the side of the road, they simply continue to amble on down the road carrying on whatever oh so important conversation they are having.  You have to slow down and get right up behind them before they will move.  These are the same kids that speed down the street at 50 mph while mine are outside playing. (Wow, I sound like an old grouchy person!)

7. Are you a fan of the cranberry?
I do like cranberry very much.  I don't however care for cranberry scented things like candles.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
For the month of November I am counting my blessings, becoming more aware of the many things I take for granted each day.  I am posting what I am thankful for on my facebook wall.  I invite you to do the same, or to keep a thankful journal.

6 comments:

  1. Stopping by from Hodge POdge ... The pansies from Alice in Wonderland caught my eye. My 22 month old has been watching an old Sing-A-Long VHS tape (yep, that OLD!!) and she LOVES the Alice song ... she tries to trill and sing along and it CRACKS ME UP & makes me so happy. I love pansies best too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something so sweet about pansies. Hubs and I have decided we're a little grouchy when it comes to neighborhood nonsense too. I have to remind hubs he was once the king of such : )

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A thankful journal sounds awesome :) And there's no greater satisfaction in cooking than making something absolutely delicious from scratch :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pansies too. My mom taught me to cook and I taught my daughters. I don't cook nearly as much now that they are grown. Harvest is over and the farmers I fed are back at their usual stuff so I only have to feed mine now. I am becoming a slacker. Harvest burns me out. I have been keeping a daily journal of thanks since I read 1000 gifts. I like that I have taken the time to stop and look at my blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd forgotten the Alice in Wonderland pansies but now I'm going to think of that the next time I see some!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha...I personally enjoyed your super power "old person" comments! HEHEHE!

    ReplyDelete