Friday, December 24, 2010

The Gift that Keeps on Giving

My little Princess has such a huge heart and she is a people pleaser, just like her mommy.  This is both a blessing and a curse.  In this case though, it is most certainly a blessing.  You see, Princess, age 6, likes to give people presents.  She is a very thoughtful child and loves to see the look on someone's face when they open a present from her and it is exactly the thing they wanted.  There are two major obstacles she faces.  She does not have a lot of money, nor does she have a way to take herself to the store to buy the presents she wants to give.  HOWEVER, Princess is also a very creative child and she has figured out a way around this problem. 
It all started around Father's Day, when Princess decided to pick out her own present for her Daddy without my help.  She wrapped it up herself and presented this present so pleased with herself, and I had no clue what it was or where it came from...that is, until her Daddy opened the gift.  Princess had gone shopping in our bedroom.  She found one of her Daddy's old Star Trek books and decided it was the perfect gift for him.  As she put it, "Daddy, I knew you would love this because it was already yours but I think you forgot you even had it, so now it is new to you again!"
I love this brilliant child!  Underneath our tree are several presents all creatively wrapped by Princess.  Stuff I'm sure that we already own, but have "forgotten we own."  Christmas morning we will open these gifts from Princess and act extremely surprised and thrilled, which we will be because of the thought she put into those gifts.  What a beautiful spirit inside this child, that she "gets it."  She understands that it isn't about how much money you spend on someone, it is the thought behind the gift.
I have however, put a moratorium on "shopping" in my room for the rest of the Christmas season because she started talking about shopping for other people in there and there's no telling what she'll give away!

1 comment:

  1. My girls did the same thing! It is very sweet. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete