Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Today's Reminder

When the Prince was a tiny baby, he was quite high maintenance. It doesn't look like it to look at this sweet face, does it?


This kid would scream and cry every day as I was trying to cook dinner and it was time for Hubby to walk in the door from work. I called it the 5:00 Fussies. Well, I only found one remedy for the 5:00 Fussies and believe me, I tried everything I could think of. The only thing that would work was to put him in his bouncy seat to watch...get ready for it....the Bill Gaither Gospel Hour. Can you believe it? Let's just say that listening to the gospel hour over and over was much better than listening to a screaming baby and I got to know some of the songs quite well. The in-laws got Prince a DVD so we could listen to it any time he wanted. Had it been a VHS, we would have worn it out long ago.

Anyway, it's been a while since I've listened to the music from this show, but I have the songs on my i-pod and sometimes I play a song or two from it and relive memories of having little babies. Today was one of those days and although I have heard this song a million times, it struck me in a whole new way. It's Ivan Parker singing "When I Get Carried Away."

Good ol' Ivan has a great message in this song. The first verse says, "Well, I don't know why I become a little shy when I get around a whole lot of people. And I can't figure out why I never can shout about the love that floods my soul. I must confess, I can't express the feelings deep inside me, The things I know and cannot show one day will overflow." This got me to thinking...why is it that I get shy around people and can't always share the joy that Jesus puts in my heart? I love Jesus so much that I want to shout it from the rooftops, so why don't I? In a world where we have become so politically correct, it is sometimes hard to openly share with others if you don't know what they believe. Then there's the whole thing about being seen as one of those overly zealous Bible thumpers. What's really so wrong with that? When you are in love with someone you want to tell everyone about it, don't you? This afternoon I was not only reminded of my sweet little baby Prince and how much I love him, but also of the fullness in my heart with the amazing love I have for Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment