Sunday, August 22, 2010

Who Said My Kids Could Grow????


As you all know, lately I've had the "My babies are going to kindergarten" Blues.  It's hit me kind of hard how quickly they are growing up.  It has made me notice every little detail of their growth lately.

~Who said they could grow so much that they don't need a steppy stool to reach the bathroom sink?
~Who said they could become so independent that they can make their own sandwiches and snacks?
~Who said they could use big words like "phenomenal" and in the right context?
~Who said they could begin reading?
~Who said they could have their own ideas about how to problem solve and do things?
~Who said they could sprout up to look like big kids?!

This Mommy is not happy that they seem to be needing me less and less but I swell with pride when I look at them and see the neat little people they are.  I also realize that there are still plenty of things they do need me for.
~They still need me to remind them to wash their hands before dinner and to pick up their dirty clothes off the floor.
~While they are reading some, they can't read their own bedtime stories yet.  That is my privilege!
~They still need me to lovingly pack their lunchboxes and to be sure they are eating more than just gummies and cookies.
~They still need me to tuck them into bed at night with lots of hugs and kisses.
~They still need me to kiss their boo-boos and put on the band aids. 
~At the end of a long, hard day, they still need my lap to crawl up into and for me to wrap my arms around them and tell them it's all going to be OK. 
I hope these are all things I get to do for a long while.  I know that as they grow, my name will change from Mommy to Mom and they will do some of these for themselves.  The great thing is that they will need me in new ways and that brings me comfort. 

4 comments:

  1. Cuuuuuute pics. The missing teeth stage is so sweet, but then it is replaced by the teeth that are toooooo big. That was when I really noticed them looking older. But no worries, God makes each stage a special blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, you spelled phenomenal wrong. However, I feel your bittersweet pain. Kata is 16. 16!!! She plays basketball, likes boys and draws manga. I'm not even really sure what manga is.

    Hang in there, Mama Bear, your kids still have lots of growing to do and you'll still have plenty for firsts with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm almost 21 years old and I still need my mom to do many of those things for me. Trust me, they'll be your babies forever. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Paula! They seem to change every day. Just yesterday I was wondering what Prince will look like when those two big front teeth grow in.

    Dude, thanks so much for pointing out the fact that I spelled phenomenal wrong. I'm lucky I can even say the word, much less spell it. Can't believe Kata is 16 ~ we're getting old!

    Holl ~ thank you sweet girl! Boy, I remember going through all of this with you, and even though I've always thought of you as mine, it's somehow different with the two that I actually birthed. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete