Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A to Z, Sing With Me

Joyce, my blog friend and supplier of all things hodgepodge, has joined a challenge to do an A to Z blog, where your daily blog theme is based on that day's letter.  You can read what Joyce is doing here.  This reminded me of a story from when the twins were in the NICU.  We spent a month in the neo-natal intensive care unit (NICU) and there was not much we could do with the babies.  They needed to grow and to rest, but they also needed to hear our voices. 
Hubby told the babies stories, he told them about the Bermuda Triangle and other sci-fi stuff.  He also told them about all of the things he wanted to take them to do when they got older...trips to the zoo, the aquarium, the park, and all of the fun we would have together as a family.  I did a lot of praying, reading stories, and then there was the singing.  One of the ways God has talked to me through the years has been through song.  I love to sing and it was a great way to pass those hours of sitting there, waiting for feeding time when I could hold my babies.  Of course there were certain songs that were favorites, but I developed a routine, if you will, for how I sang to my babies.  I started with the letter A and went through the alphabet, singing all of the hymns and praise songs I could think of.  It went something like this:
A - Amazing Grace, As the Deer, Are Ye Able
B - Blessed Assurance, Because He Lives
C - Come Christians Join to Sing, Christ the Lord is Risen Today, Crown Him with Many Crowns
D - Do Lord
E - Every Time I Feel the Spirit
F - Fairest Lord Jesus
G - God Will Take Care of You, God is so Good, Great is Thy Faithfulness
H - His Eye is on the Sparrow, He Lives
I - In the Garden
J - Jesus Loves Me, Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam
K - Kumbaya
L - Love Lifted Me, Leaning on the Everlasting Arms
M - My Faith Looks Up to Thee
N - Nothing But the Blood
O - Old Rugged Cross, O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing, On Jordan's Stormy Banks
P - Pass It On
Q - (I'd skip it.  Never could figure out a Q song)
R - Rock of Ages
S - Seek Ye First, Spirit of the Living God, Sweet Sweet Spirit
T - Trust and Obey, There's Something About That Name
U - Up From the Grave He Arose
V - Victory in Jesus
W - What a Friend We Have in Jesus, Wonderful Words of Life
X - (another one I'd skip)
Y - Your Love O Lord, Reaches to the Heavens
Z - Marching to Zion (I fudged this one a little)

There were probably others, but these are the ones that came to mind.  It's amazing what you can think of when you have all of that time.

The other day I was rocking my nephew, Sweet Cheeks, to sleep for his nap.  It brought back memories of my sweet babies and I once again pulled the A to Z song list from my memory and began to sing.

3 comments:

  1. I sang to my babies and when I hold a baby I automatically start with my song routine. My sister pointed out that I sing the same songs in the same order as my mom. Maybe the Prince and Princess will sing A-Z praises and hymns to their babies too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, sweet. I sang hymns to my babies (at home)...we sang hymns in our bible study worship time this morning. Most weeks we do contemporary but every now and then they throw in some hymns. I love the words..like poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often wonder what the other inhabitants of the NICU thought of all the silly made up songs I sang to my girls. ;)

    ReplyDelete