Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Be Imitators of Christ


Ephesians 5:1 “Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children.” - New International Version

Children naturally mimic their parents in words and actions. It’s how they learn about how the world works and they do it from the minute they are born. As the mother of 5 year old twins, I often hear them say things that I have said in the exact intonation with which I’ve said it. When they are spouting words of wisdom from some lesson they have learned, I smile and feel proud that they are learning from me. There are many times, however, that I hear my own words and cringe. That sounded so ugly coming out of their mouths. How must it have sounded coming out of mine?
The Message version of Ephesians 5:1-2 says, “Watch what God does, and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that.”

Loving others with Christ’s extravagant love…I want to do that! How does God feel when He hears my words? Is he beaming with pride or does He cringe? I try to share Christ’s love in all I do, but I often fall short. The scripture says by watching what God does and keeping company with Him, I can learn how to love. Spending time in prayer, reading my Bible, and surrounding myself with other Christians who radiate such extravagant love are all things I can do to learn to love others. I pray that others will see Christ radiate through me and that when I speak, I sound exactly like my Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment