Friday, May 28, 2010

A Servant's Heart


The other night when I called the kids inside to wash hands for supper, I overheard an interesting conversation between the Princess and the Prince. They were down the hall in their bathroom when I heard Princess say to Prince, “Let me wash your feet for you.” Then as she turned on the faucet in the tub she said, “Jesus washed the disciples’ feet. Isn’t this cool?”

As the Prince came to the dining room with clean feet, I thought about what the Princess had just done. She didn’t think there was anything to washing young Prince’s feet, she just did it, she wanted to do it. She had a servant’s heart. Jesus calls us to have a servant’s heart, to do things for others because it is helpful to them and makes them feel good, not for anything we get in return. Jesus calls us to love our neighbors…to love everyone and to serve them with a happy heart. Jesus said, “Whatever you have done to the least of these my brothers, you have done unto me.”

I have a confession to make: I have not had a servant’s heart lately. I have been tired and cranky, and have not felt like serving others. I have had a stinky attitude and I have done things more out of a feeling of obligation than because I want to serve Christ. This is a hard truth for me to face. I have allowed myself to get so run down that I haven’t stopped to consider what God would have me do. It’s been about how I felt, rather than what I’m called to do. I haven’t had my batteries recharged in quite a while. When I get so busy that I don’t take time to touch base with God and allow His Holy Spirit to guide my thoughts and actions, I am not able to see through His eyes. My vision becomes blurred and I see what my flawed eyes and heart see. God wants so much more for me. He wants to live and breathe and move through me. When I am in tune with His will for my life, my heart yearns to love and serve others and my motives are pure.

I am an empty vessel, Lord. Please fill me up with your Holy Spirit so that my heart may never be out of line with Your will for my life. Create in me a clean heart, Oh God and renew a right spirit within me. Give me a servant’s heart and allow me to serve Your people with a spirit of unconditional love.

No comments:

Post a Comment