Thursday, September 16, 2010

He is the Potter, We are the Clay

Princess came home from school the other day with a necklace she made in art class.  They made clay beads a week or so ago and the beads finally dried so they made necklaces out of the beads.  Princess then begins to tell me, "Mom, did you know that God is the potter and we are the clay?  You see Mom, God made us so He's the potter, and we are the clay.  'Cause He made us and He shapes us into the people we are."  All I could think was, "Wow!  I love that my children are in a Christian school." 
I tried to see how far the comparison would go with her and I asked her if she thought being shaped by God could be painful sometimes, but her response was, "No, He doesn't beat us down like I beat this clay on the table."  OK, so she's not quite ready to see the comparison of life's hardships shaping us, (thank goodness!)but it got ME to thinking.  It does hurt when God is shaping us, molding our character in His image.  Sometimes we do feel as if we are taking a beating, not in a literal sense, but wrestling our will against His will for us.  After this conversation with the Princess, I have been singing, "Have thine own way, Lord, have thine own way, Thou art the Potter, I am the clay. Make me and mold me after thy will. While I am waiting, yielded and still." The thing is, if I sing it and say it, I have to truly mean it and be open to His will.

I don't know about you, but I can be quite strong-willed.  I want things my way because I think I know how it will all turn out so much better.  Sometimes I really blow it and try to force my own way.  Those are the times when it is most painful for God to bring me back into His will, His hands-on approach can really hurt.  If only I could swallow my pride and give in, I think I'd be a lot better off.

3 comments:

  1. That's so awesome that your kids get to be in a Christian environment. I'm sure it's a sacrifice for your family, but what a great thing you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pride...yeah...I don't like humble pie...why do I always have to eat it with a shovel? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, thanks. We didn't initially set out to put them in private school, but it worked out that way when they didn't get into the public school we wanted them to attend. It has really been a God thing. Yes, the budget it definitely tight, but we are finding it so worth it.

    Queen ~ we are two peas in a pod where that's concerned. I eat humble pie by the shovel full as well.

    ReplyDelete