Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day

I can remember visiting my great-aunt in Tennessee when I was a child and she would take us with her to the cemetery for Decoration Day and we'd take flowers to put on the graves.  I didn't really understand at the time what all of that meant, I just knew that that's what you did.  Memorial Day, Decoration Day, whatever you choose to call it, we remember those heroes who have served our country to protect our freedom.  I am so thankful for all of the men and women who have given their lives for our country.  Throughout the years I have been so proud that my Daddy chose to serve in the Navy. 

It wasn't until Sunday, sitting in church that I thought about how differently things could have ended up had he not come home from Vietnam.  For one thing, I wouldn't have been born.  I am so blessed to have the parents and the life that I have.  My parents have given me every opportunity they could and support me no matter what.  I am blessed to have been born in the United States, where I can worship and pray openly, where I can still say "one nation under God" when I pledge to our flag, where I have the freedom of speech to express my opinions in this blog.  Tonight I am praying for all of those who have lost loved ones in battle and for all of those families who are missing their loved ones currently serving our country. 
God Bless America.
This is a picture of my Dad in Vietnam.  He is on the bottom left.

No comments:

Post a Comment