Friday, March 4, 2011

The Newest Members of Our Family

In yesterday's post I told you about Princess' devastation over not having a pet and her insistence that she needed to take a pet to school today.  I sent their teacher a message last night but I didn't get her response until this morning.  SO...here's how this all went down.  Hubby called to tell me he was on his way home from work.  Princess, in tears, asked to talk to her daddy on the phone.  She then tells her daddy that she is supposed to bring a pet to school tomorrow but she doesn't have a pet and she had a fish this summer but then the fish died and she never got another one and she will be the only one at school without a pet tomorrow (well she and her twin brother, that is) and she doesn't want to take a stuffed animal because it's not a real pet... Hubby asks her to put me on the phone to which he says to me, "I can't understand a word she's saying.  I need you on the phone to interpret."  So after I helped Princess repeat all of this back to Hubby he says to me, "I do kind of feel bad that we never replaced the fish after they died and I don't care if we get more fish, what do you think?"  I agreed with him and negotiated dinner out and then we'd go to the pet store to look for fish.  Amazingly enough, as soon as Hubby and I told Princess we would get her a fish, her whole demeanor changed.  That chick has her daddy wrapped around her little finger!

After dinner we went to the pet store in search of the 15 cent goldfish.  Believe it or not, they do have some goldfish for 15 cents and we were all set on those.  That is, until we priced out the fishbowls they would need to take the fish to school.  Soooooo we ended up getting little beta fish that came in their own little containers that were portable to take to school.  We still had to buy them each a beta bowl since the fish can't live together.  Twenty-five dollars later we were on our way home with two happy children and beta fish named Scooby Doo and Max.  It was money well spent since we technically owed them the fish anyway and it doubled as a school project as well.

Ms. J, their teacher responded to my message last night but I didn't get it until this morning.  This week was Science Week at their school and they were doing special science themed activities.  She mentioned yesterday that they could bring a pet to school or a stuffed animal if they wanted.  It wasn't mandatory or really even a big deal.  However, once Princess had it in her head that she HAD to have a pet for school, there was no talking her out of it.  I guess it's a good thing that she is so conscientious.  Max and Scooby Doo had a great visit to school today.  Well, at least they made it home alive, I guess that's pretty great to survive a day with a class full of kindergartners.  Prince is in his room talking to Max about our house and explaining house rules to him.  Welcome to the family, Max and Scooby Doo!

5 comments:

  1. Rocks are special too! You could reference Shawshank Redemption and talk about time and pressure...hmm. I guess that's like raising kids.

    Glad the kids didn't show up empty handed at school. High five to you and the hubs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fish are good. We used to have a 55 gallon salt water tank. It was beautiful but we lost a few (hundred$) while trying to get the environment just right.

    My daughter is in college and is an elem ed major. She's in a 5th grade science class this term and a student (along with the dad) got permission to bring in his exotic pet-a sugar glider. I'd never heard of them but they look sort of like a chipmunk with a pocket. And apparently they fly like a flying squirrel as my daughter learned. It was sitting on the boy's shoulder and made eye contact with my daughter a good distance away and before she knew what was happening it took off and landed on her shoulder. She said she didn't freak out too much. I would have lost it...I'm not a fan of anything 'rodenty'. Which is why I say fish are good : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new family additions. BTW...Betas are feisty little creatures and will jump out of their home if they get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know that we tried to buy a 15 cent goldfish after our beta died and were informed that goldfish need a minimum 10 gallon tank? Well you can guess we were right back to our bets fish and one gallon tank! Glad the princess is happy though because really isn't that all that matters? hehe.
    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joyce, I would have died if that thing had flown across the room at me like that! Yes, fish are good.

    Paula, don't I know about those fish jumping out of the bowl. I had one when I taught pre-k right after we were married and it jumped out of the bowl and down the sink drain when I was trying to change the water. Yikes!

    Yes Sarah, we found out the same thing. Those 15 cent goldfish aren't as good of a deal as they might seem.

    ReplyDelete