Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Wednesday Hodge Podge ~ Mardi Gras Style


It is Wednesday Hodge Podge time again!  The time when we all link up with Joyce, who comes up with some interesting questions for us all to answer. 

1. The season of Lent begins on March 9th this year...do you participate and if so, in what way?
I do participate in Lenten activities.  I attended Ash Wednesday service tonight with Hubby and the kiddos.  This is the first time we have taken the kids to this service.  We talked ahead of time about what Pastor would be talking about and what they would see and do.  This was the first time the kids had taken communion and at the end of the service Princess chose to get ashes on her forehead while Prince just said a polite no thank you to Pastor.  We talked to them about why Jesus had to come and sacrifice his life, because we all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.  They know the need for repentance and the Jesus blood covers our sins. 
My theme this Lent is More of Him, less of me.  My prayer is that God will work through me and that others will see Him in my words and actions.  See yesterday's post for more info.

2. Traditionally pancakes are eaten on the day known as Shrove Tuesday which is the last day before Lent (March 8th this year). So....butter and syrup? Blueberry? Chocolate chip? ewww, no thanks!! What's your pleasure when it comes to eating pancakes?
I like butter and syrup. I also like them with sour cream and strawberry preserves.

3. Spring is coming. (It is coming, right?) What's your favorite springtime flower and do you suffer from seasonal allergies? Two questions I know, but they're lightweights.
I love azaleas and gardenias. I don't typically suffer from allergies but Princess is having a terrible time with them this year.  Her poor little eyes have been swollen and this morning they were swollen shut when she woke up. 


4. "Our opinion of people depends less upon what we see in them than upon what they make us see in ourselves." Author unknown. Agree or Disagree? Why?
I guess it is true that if we don't like who we are when we are around certain people, that we should limit the amount of time spent with them.  I would like to think that I could have a positive influence on those people and perhaps sway them in a more positive direction.
5. Since it's "March" and also the season of Mardi Gras....have you ever been in a parade? What's the best parade you've seen?
I have been in many a Christmas parade.  I was in band in high school so we always marched.  I have also marched in parades at Disney when I was in the band.  One year I was even the drum major.  Disney parades in the middle of the summer = HOT!
6. You would jump up and down and shout for joy right now if someone told you___________?
That I would have free maid service?  Never have to do laundry again?  Have a house that cleans itself?Hmmmm...do you see a pattern here? 

7. How clean is your car on the outside? Inside? Is there junk in your trunk?
There is ALWAYS junk in my trunk.  As a mommy, I feel I always have to be prepared with a first aid kit, extra clothes, drinks, towels, etc., etc., etc.  My car is relatively free of clutter at the present time, but on any given day that could change, depending on how much time we have spent in the car.  The outside of my car has a yellow film of pollen on it.  It's that time of the year.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
A couple of random things:
~When Princess and her Daddy went to the Father/Daughter Dance at her school, she tried to do the Macarena.  Since then, she has been singing the song, or trying to.  However, her version is "Hey Margarita!"  I'm sorry, but that is both funny and embarrassing.  I'm sure I'll be super emabarrassed when she goes to church singing it. 
~Space Shuttle Discovery came home with a safe landing today.  We were sitting in our closing circle time, reading a story when we heard the "BOOM, BOOM" sonic booms.  My little 3-year-olds didn't even flinch as I said, "shuttle."  I'm gonna miss those booms that scare you half to death as they sound like gunshots and then you realize, oh yeah, it's the shuttle landing.
~The weather is beautiful here!  I wish it could stay like this forever!  I don't want to go inside and everything is blooming.  On the other hand, poor Princess' allergies are giving her fits so I guess I don't want it to be forever.  It sure is nice though.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your answers and seeing your lovely photos. But I have to say, I am jealous that you have such good weather. Here, not so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little one with her eyes swollen shut :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. My eyes are what give me fits during allergy season too. I seem to have something going on with my eyes year round anymore though. Ugh.

    The weather is NOT beautiful here...rain all day and already there has been significant flooding in Northern NJ...We live above where the flooding is occurring but my hubs had to navigate around it to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shrove Tuesday...this is the first year I ever heard that phrase. Why pancakes? I do prefer my pineapple stuffed french toast...

    ReplyDelete