Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Ice Ice Baby in the Wednesday Hodgepodge

Happy Wednesday Everybody!  It's that time again ~ time for Wednesday Hodgepodge!  Although it is warming up a bit in the Sunshine State, it's pretty cold where Joyce is, thus the name for this week's hodgepodge. Joyce is the hodgepodge guru so click here and visit Joyce to read about her adventures with the snowblower and her answers to the Wednesday Hodgepodge.

1. Do you like your name? Were you named after someone? If you have children how did you settle on their names?
Yes, I like my name.  My first name wasn't after anyone, but my middle name is the same as my mother's.  Also, I have the same initials as my dad ~ or at least I did before I got married. 
My children: Princess was named after my great-granny.  My great-granny went by her middle name.  Princess uses first and middle ~ the nurses in the NICU insisted on it and it has stuck.
When we were picking out names for Prince, we knew his middle name would be Hubby's first name.  It's a tradition in Hubby's family.  We wanted the first name to be Biblical (Princess' name is also from the Bible) and we kept trying different names.  When I found the one I liked, Hubby at first wasn't crazy about it...that is, until I point out that Prince would have the same initials as Hubby's grandfather. 

2. How do you define success?
I think a person is successful if they can find happiness in life while sticking to their principles and living by their beliefs and values.

3. Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy?
I like word games, but for some reason Wheel of Fortune gets on my nerves.  I'm more of a Jeopary person.

4. If you could own any single object that you don't have now, what would that object be?
I don't know what that would be.  Right now I feel like I have too much of everything and need to go on a massive cleaning spree in my house.

5. What is something that inspires you?
I find inspiration in many forms.  I am inspired through music, the lyrics, the tunes, how they move me.  I am also inspired by books, things I read.  Conversations with friends and others I meet can inspire me.  I have also found inspiration with a beautiful sunset, a walk on the beach, watching children laugh and play.  God can use anything or anyone and I never know when or how it will happen.

6. Meatloaf-yea or nay? If it's a yay how do you make yours?
Yay for meatloaf!  It has to be served with real mashed potatoes, though.  We don't do that instant stuff at my house.  My meatloaf is made with ground beef, egg, diced bell pepper and onion, a handful of bread crumbs, salt, pepper and ketchup.  It's not an exact recipe and sometimes I toss in other things.  Combine, shape into a loaf and bake.  Then add more ketchup on top a few minutes before it comes out of the oven.  One Valentine's Day I made the meatloaf into a heart shape in a pie plate before baking.  Then I used food coloring to make the mashed potatoes pink. 

7. Which is more admirable-the ability to organize and be methodical or the ability to adapt and make do?
I can usually adapt and make do pretty well.  I really admire people who can stay organized and be methodical.  I try to be organzied and methodical, but there are times when I am flying by the seat of my pants and that's not comfortable for a control freak like myself.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
I had forgotten about the heart-shaped meatloaf until today.  This made me think to go back and look at the pictures from that day.  My babies were still babies at a 19 months old and it was a great Valentine's Day.  Here are some pictures:

Pink Mashed Potatoes

X and O Brownies for Dessert


Sweet Prince with his Valentine


Cutie Patootie Princess
People ask me what my favorite age or stage has been with my kids and this is such a hard question to answer, but here goes...
As I look back at pictures of my kids when they were younger I have such fond memories.  I loved those times and sometimes I want them back.  However, I also enjoy the right now.  So my answer has always been that my favorite age or stage is now, whatever that age or stage is.

7 comments:

  1. Naming children is a tricky business : ) Those x and o brownies are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like the valentine's inspiration! THank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your children were adorable babies! I really enjoyed the time when they were younger. Those were the days when I stayed home with them full-time. Though I was usually tired, I looked forward to each day with a grateful heart that I could be home. I can't believe my oldest is about to turn 19 and my youngest will be 17 in May! Where has the time gone?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is popular in my family to call our children by their middle name. I usually forget that legally our son's first name is used on medical records and such. So I at first use the name we call him by, which causes a bit of confusion. Til I remember which name they use.

    Love your pictures!!

    I never thought about pink mashed potatoes. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your valentine's meal. What good ideas! Your kids are adorable.
    until next time... nel

    ReplyDelete
  6. So enjoyed stopping by today. Love your creativity with your Valentine's meal. I'll have to remember that because I love Valentine's Day.

    Yes, I always enjoyed every phase of our children's lives and now that they are grown, we're really enjoying this "season" as well.

    Blessings abundant to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pink mashed potatoes!!! Wow loved this. I also enjoyed your answer to #6

    ReplyDelete