Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A New Year, A Fresh Start

With the New Year comes a lot of talk about new beginnings, new starts, a clean slate.  We make resolutions, set goals and think about what we want to change, how to make ourselves better.  January 1st seems to be a magic date for a new start.  I have made my resolutions, set some goals, been reflecting just like everyone else.  As I think about this new start though, something else strikes me.  As Christians, every day can be a new start because we have Jesus.  Isn't this what we have been celebrating?  Jesus came to Earth as a baby to forgive our sins, thus giving us a fresh start when we ask for His forgiveness.  It's ours for the taking, if only we ask.
This takes some of the pressure off from those resolutions we've all made.  If I fail one day, I have a new start the next.  You see, I'll never be perfect.  I'll never do everything just right all the time.  I can try, but it's not going to happen.  The beauty of it is that I don't have to be perfect.  I love the Casting Crowns song "Who Am I" which says, "Not because of who I am, but because of what You've done, not because of what I've done, but because of Who You are."  It's because of Who He is, that I can have a fresh start when I need it.  His blood wiped the slate clean from my sins and shortcomings. 

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. (NIV)1 Peter 1:3

1 comment: