Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Fat Tuesday

Taylor over at The Lumberjack's Wife is hosting Fat Tuesday and has invited all who want to join her to comment.  This is for anyone who wishes to join in on an accountability day for losing weight and exercising.  I for one am watching what I eat, and let me tell you that I am watching some pretty good and fattening food go into my mouth.  This is not a good thing for the waistline.  So I am going to try to join in Fat Tuesday and see if this will get me motivated to eat better and perhaps exercise too.  Go say Hi to Taylor and join us for Fat Tuesday!

Last night I made homemade pizza and chocolate chip cookies. 
~ FAIL~

I only ate 1 cookie
~ WIN~

I ate about 3 cookies worth of dough
~FAIL~

I bought lots of fresh fruits and veggies at the grocery store today
~WIN~

I found a recipe for Spicy Crunchy Chickpeas in January's All You Magazine.  My mom said that she used to make these when she was on Weight Watchers for a snack sometimes.  For those of you on WW, I have figured out that they are 2 points per 1/4 cup.  Those of you not on WW, they are 120 Calories, 5 g Fat, 4 g Fiber, 4 g Protein

Here's the recipe:

Spicy Crunchy Chickpeas

2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2  15 1/2 oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed, drained, thoroughly patted dry *for maximum crunchiness, use paper towels to dry the chickpeas well before baking.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Line a larged rimed baking sheet with foil.  In a large bowl, combine olive oil, cinnamon, cumin, allspice, salt and pepper.  Add chickpeas and toss to coat thoroughly.  Turn chickpeas out onto baking sheet and roast, stirring or shaking baking sheet often, until chickpeas are browned and crunchy, 45 to 50 minutes.  Transfer to a bown and let cool before serving, stirring occasionally.

That's all there is to it!  I really like them and I feel better that they are full of protein and fiber than other crunchy snacks I like to munch on.  The recipe also says you can add a pinch of chili powder or cayenne pepper with the spice mixture if you'd like.  I didn't get that adventurous this first time I made them.

No comments:

Post a Comment