Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Wednesday Hodgepodge

It's Hodgepodge Wednesday ~ I can't believe it's here again already!  Link up with Joyce here and join in the fun!
1. Did you know there is a National Day of pretty much everything in the universe? February 23 happens to be National Inconvenience Yourself Day...when was the last time you were inconvenienced?

Yesterday when I went to pick up a prescription that was dropped off on Monday, yet it still wasn't ready because they had to order it and asked if I would come back a little later.  Then I went to the dry cleaner and Hubby's clothes were not ready when they were supposed to be either.  Let's just say it was a little frustrating not to be able to cross things off of my list.

2. When a room in your house needs painting who does the job?
Hubby and I paint together.  I enjoy painting but Hubby does not.  My brother-in-law is an amazing painter, though so sometimes we call him over to "help" which translates into him doing it because he is just that amazing.  Speaking of which, we have some rooms that need to be painted.  Hmmmmm.....oh brother-in-law???

3. Are you friends with your cousins?
Yes, at least some of them.  I wish I got to spend more time with them though.  I get to see Sis at church once a week if nothing else.  Although I have been promising her lunch, so I guess I ought to make good on that.  I have another cousin that lives a little over an hour away and I wish we could make time to see each other more.  We have kids the same age and they get along so well.  Then I have the Alabama cousins.  They are in college, so they are quite a bit younger than me but I claim them as my own kiddos since I babysat them so much when they were babies.  I miss being able to get my "Hollywood" and "MoMo" fix, but I at least get to "see" them on facebook.
4. Do you use an alarm clock? If yes-is it an actual alarm, music, or something else?
I usually rely on Hubby's clock because he gets up about 30 minutes before I have to be up.  However, when I do have to use a clock, it must be set on the annoying alarm mode because the music doesn't wake me up.  I somehow always incorporate the music into my dream and I just don't wake up.  On the weekends I have a human alarm clock.  He looks like this:

He's a cute little alarm clock, but darn if he isn't persistent and annoying at 6 a.m. on a Saturday. 
5. What do you put ketchup on?
Besides french fries and other things you typically dip ketchup into, if it's meat, it can have ketchup on it.  It just depends on what kind of a mood I am in.  I LOVE ketchup!

6. What smells make you nostalgic? 
So many things are coming to mind right now. 
Believe it or not, one of the smells that makes me the most nostalgic is diesel.  It reminds me of trips we used to take on church buses when I was a kid.  Since my dad used to help drive with the bus ministry, I went on a lot of trips when I was little and then by my own rite when I was a teenager in youth group.  Those were fun times. 
Another nostalgic smell for me is cigar smoke.  My grandaddy smoked cigars and when I smell them, I think of him.  Twice a year, the anniversary of his death in March, and his birthday in August, I visit his grave and smoke a cigar. 
My aunt, who has also passed used to wear Youth Dew perfume and that smell makes me think of her.

7. Have you heard about the high school English teacher recently suspended as a result of some things she wrote in her personal blog? You can read the story here but in a nutshell she vented a lot of frustration onto her blog. She didn't mention individual students by name but she did make some harsh comments about kids in general and their parents.
What are your thoughts-If you're a parent is your child's teacher online and are you 'friend' or 'follower' there? If you're a teacher are you on facebook and do you accept or friend students on fb? How about their parents? If you're a student are you friends with your current or former teachers online? Do any of them have blogs you read? If you're a teacher or a parent do you ever use your blog as a place to vent your frustrations with our educational system? So much to discuss...

I think teachers are entitled to their opinions, HOWEVER, when you express your opinion in a public forum, you have to be careful. 

8. Insert your own random thought here.
The weather has been fantastic here!  I want to spend all day every day outside.  This does not bode well for the pile of clean laundry that needs to be folded or the dirty laundry that needs washing.  But the beautiful weather won't last long, for it will be hot before we know it.

6 comments:

  1. Your son is so cute, but waking up at 6 AM on Saturdays...BLECH!:)Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks April! Yeah, he's my own little rooster, up with the sun...cock-a-doodle doo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that number 1 does sound frustrating. And #8- well we still have snow on the ground here, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH good gravy, I had forgotten about those trips in the big stinky busses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your nastalgic smells and that handsome alarm clock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a cute dependable little alarm clock, bless him. Enjoy your good weather, I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete